Achieving Pregnancy: Revision #1

You are currently reviewing an older revision of this page. Go to current version

Achieving Pregnancy

Despite popular opinion, getting pregnant is not always easy.  A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) on December 7, 1995 showed that a woman is only fertile for about 6 days in any given cycle (the 5 days preceding ovulation and the day of ovulation itself).  It also showed that the maximum chances of successfully conceiving in any given cycle is 37%, assuming that you have intercourse during each of these fertile days before and including ovulation.  That means that for most normally fertile couples having intercourse during the fertile period a successful conception will occur within 3 months.
Other studies have shown that 50% of couples will conceive within 6 months if not practicing birth control, and that 85% will conceive within 12 months.  For the remaining 15%, fertility assistance from their physician is often required.
So what is the difference between those normally fertile couples who conceive in 3 months and those who conceive in 6 to 12 months?  For some, it is "luck", but for others, it is knowing when they are fertile.  The NEJM article demonstrated that in order to achieve the 37% probability of successful conception in a cycle, you must engage in intercourse on each of the 5 days preceding ovulation and on the day of ovulation itself.  Alternating days of intercourse drops the probability down to 33%.

So to achieve the highest probability of conception, a couple must know when the woman is fertile.  It is the Fertility Awareness Method, and in particular Toni Weschler's book Taking Charge of Your Fertility, that helps you do this.  Taking Charge of Your Fertility Software automates the calculations behind the Fertility Awareness Method and the book in an accurate, easy- and fun-to-use software application, helping you get pregnant in the shortest time possible.